Maya Simmons Rogers to Speak at CLE on Advising Directors and Officers on Corporate Governance
On Thursday, August 17, 2017, Maya Simmons Rogers, managing partner of the law firm Simmons Rogers, LLC, will present, along with attorneys Nefertara Clark, managing partner at Clark and Clark Law Group, LLC, John M. Gross, general counsel for Taylor English Duma LLP, and others at the National Business Institute’s (NBI) Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seminar entitled “A Primer on Advising Directors and Officers on Corporate Governance” at the Cobb Galleria Centre in Atlanta, GA. Maya Simmons Rogers was invited to present because of her work with businesses, nonprofits, and their respective officers and directors.
The CLE will examine the duties and obligations of directors and officers and the liabilities associated with their roles. During the CLE, Maya Simmons Rogers will present on the “Fundamentals of Nonprofit Governance” and “Fiduciary Duties Under State Law: Nature and Scope.” She will provide invaluable tips and insights into how attorneys can be knowledgeable advisors of potential risks to their clients, help them identify issues proactively, and recommend policies and practices to minimize liability and maximize effectiveness.
This CLE is designed for attorneys but founders, directors, officers, managers, presidents, vice presidents, accountants and paralegals will also benefit from the seminar. Those who attend the CLE will learn:
1. The baseline obligations of directors and officers;
2. How to keep their clients in compliance by fully understanding powers, duties, and liabilities under state law;
3. How to prepare their clients to safeguard against governance issues by examining top liabilities, including compensation issues, business transactions, intellectual property, contracts, and more;
4. How to stay up to date on initiatives, regulatory actions and new standards that affect tax-exempt organizations;
5. How to analyze the best practices and protocols for self-protection of directors and officers; and
6. Ways to gain a better understanding of Directors and Officers liability insurance, commonly referred to as D&O insurance, and exclusions to be wary of.
Since 1983, NBI has been a national provider of continuing legal education and training. NBI is dedicated to providing practical, continuing legal education courses taught by experienced practitioners, so that attendees are equipped with information they can apply to their daily practice.
To learn more about the seminar and register to attend, visit the NBI page here.
Simmons Rogers, LLC
Simmons Rogers, LLC is a full- service civil law firm based in Atlanta, Georgia. We provide legal services as well as mediation and arbitration services, to businesses and individuals throughout the state of Georgia and beyond.
This blog is not intended to be a complete explanation of the law. Its purpose is to inform, not to advise on any specific legal problem or legal rights. If you have specific questions regarding any topic in this blog, you are encouraged to consult the Atlanta based law firm of Simmons Rogers, LLC or an attorney licensed in your